As Monroe County, Indiana heads into fall, there are plenty of October opportunities to learn about and enjoy local nature. Here are our picks for the Top 5 Green Events. For even more, make sure to visit the regularly updated Green Events Calendar.
1. Cider Fest Fall is apple time in Monroe County, and the Bloomington Community Orchard is ready to not only create cider but to share a community meal. Bring the whole family for this event to celebrate the value of fruit, not shipped across the country!
2. Nature on the Water: Fall Colors Parade
This is our featured event during the week. Lake Monroe hosts weekly activities on or near the lake to promote awareness and conservation. They do a great job keeping Facebook events up to date for you!
3. Bloomington Farmers Market This popular event promotes organic and sustainable farmers, homesteaders, ranchers, orchardists, and more. While Smithville, Ellettsville, and the Tuesday Bloomington markets all shut down after September, Downtown Bloomington continues!
4. Green Drinks If you have never attended a Green Drinks talk, you should start. Hosted at Upland Brewery, a growing group of concerned citizens host lectures and forums to discuss environmental problems and local solutions.
5. Ghostly Gathering October also means Halloween and Lake Monroe does is right in Monroe County! Trick-or-treating, Zombie history, costume contests, and the grand finale…the Campsite Decorating Contest. With events all weekend, there’s something for you!
Members of the Monroe County Environmental Commission compiled this list. Their charge includes “educating the community and engaging residents and businesses in supporting initiatives which will help ensure a healthier and more economically viable future for the County.” The public is welcome to attend these meetings the second Wednesday of every month at 5:30pm.